Tuyển Chọn Hoàng Phi

Tuyển Chọn Hoàng Phi - Kiera Cass, Huyền Vũ #booksiboughtonsummervacationcuzijustcantresistthetemptationduh no.4

I'm not really a "romance" person, so I didn't expect much from the beginning. But since it one of your favourite books, Molly, I thought it must be somewhat unique and a fun read. I was wrong.

Like:

- The cover.
- The fonts.
- Gerad is such a cute little guy. I just want to hug him.
- The story begins with a very (seemingly) interesting plot: 35 girls competing for a crown. Yay.

Dislike:
- Your average chick - lit: A Mary Sue heroine who we know will sure to win the hero's affection, a kind best friend, at least one "bitchy" girl, and another dude who also falls in love with our heroine. Great. Just great.
- The characters are amazingly dull.
- The whole made up history thing. The US was invaded by China because a huge debt. Riiigghhhtt....
US debt pie chart
How about US's second debt holder, Japan? Or did NATO pound on China? Assuming that China successfully invaded US and changed the name to The American State of China (haha, great name btw), they still have another problem:
You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass. - Admiral Yamamoto Isoroku

How many guns are there in America again? 270 million. Although China has a huge population, America has a longer history of "Right to bear arms".
- Now Russia wants to take America and also got attacked by China. Awesome.
- A two - front war is too risky for Russia. Apparently China wants more land. Russia also wants more land. So they're attacking Siberia and Mongolia I supposed? Wouldn't the Chinese need to stick to Beijing to protect it? What? I'm confused.
- This Gregory Illéa dude somehow switched the gov from democracy to monarchy and still gains support from the people.
- They are having a war right now and still think of finding a wife for their dear son.
- There are 2 rebel groups, North and South, correct? And still, there's a lack of education about history among the population? I thought they were fighting the caste system and this rotten country. So they just throw food into the palace's windows then? How boring.
- The guards' weapons are spears, and they have rebels, who regularly attacks the palace. WTF? You do realise this is a better historical fiction than science fiction right, Cass?
- The love triangle is so forced and angsty.
- According to this, most holidays aren't in winter.
- Fluff. Fluff. Fluff.
- Swendway? Honduragua? No. I want to read the other books too, have to find what the hell is all of this about. The naming is unbelievable.
- The translation is crap. (not affecting the rating)

Conclusion: Even though I didn't like this book at all, but will read another books because of the ridiculous naming of the countries. Seriously, Cass?