Bán Sách Và Bán Giày

Bán Sách Và Bán Giày - Tô Hải Vân #booksiboughtonsummervacationcuzijustcantresistthetemptationduh no.6

3.5 stars

- This book revolves around one main kind of characters: the absent - minded researchers, abadoned by their lovers, and almost all of them has a strange obsession with some kind of object. I easily see myself in them, and love them almost immediately as I flipped through the pages.
- T.H.V. has succesfully and exceptionally, painted such a delightful picture of the ancient section of Hanoi, which I myself has though it was dead since the skyscrapers have been built continously in the 2000s. I don't think until now I've ever read a book that has made me laughed so much in my life, though it always end in bittersweet endings.
- I felt the need to applaud K.D, who has designed this lovely cover: the way that they have carelessly painted the brush strokes vertically, with so many textures, reminded me of the paintings of Hanoi by Bùi Xuân Phái:

description

Dislike
- As I have previously mentioned in the "Like" section, the characters are researchers of institutes, aka the people of science. Therefore, false science facts are absolutely unacceptable. Some examples:
Gã chợt nhớ, đã đọc ở đâu đó, là vào cái thế kỉ hai mươi mốt này xuất hiện một loại virus nano, đường kính cỡ 1 nanomet, bé hơn 5 đến 6000 lần một con vi khuẩn bình thường.

"The smallest virus known to humanity, however, is the single stranded DNA virus Porcine circovirus type 1. It has a genome of only 1759 nucleotides. Its capsid diameter is only 17 nm.". Also, bartonella henselae, the proteobacterium that transfers through cat scratch, its size is 0.3-0.6 ¥ 0.3-1.0 um.
Gã biết một điều rằng về lí thuyết, lực hấp dẫn làm cong thời gian, thậm chí làm biến mất thời gian

Correct me if I'm wrong, we all know that gravity bends time aka the space - time curvature, but gravity destroy time? I surely don't remember. There is a theory that antigravitational force is slowing time down, but that's a different story....
Ngồi một lúc, bỗng keng một tiếng, màn hình báo có thư mới.

I sincerely don't think that any average company in Vietnam would let their employees turn the sound on the computer on.

- The author holds really ridiculous stereotypes about women. I would have passed it, but he mentioned it so many times so gradually, I found myself annoyed at this. I imagined T.H.V as a guy who always meet shallow and shitty terrible women so he finally got bored and wrote this book.

Conclusion: As I was writing this review, I kept debating to myself whether to rate this book 3 or 4 stars, simply because I couldn't bring myself to rate it 2, you rarely find a Vietnamese contemporary author as good as this, they always write cheesy romance nowadays. Hopefully T.H.V. will write more splendid books like this one, with more accurate facts, of course. I look forward to a near future, when our generation will finally get to see the revival of an ancient corner of Hanoi, dying day by day.

EDIT: Bán sách và bán giày, best enjoy with a cup of green tea (no sugar).

Pixlr_20150711153900799.jpg